Candle and Wax Melt Care

Some helpful tips for how to get the most out of your candle

*For sculptural candles and wax melts see below! 

The first burn is the most important. When lighting your candle for the first time, wait until the entire top surface has melted (about 2-3 hours) before you extinguish it. Doing so will ensure your candle melts evenly, which prolongs its lifespan.  

Trim your wick. Before each light, trim your wick to about ⅛”. You can do this by either pinching the charred bits off with your fingers, using a wick trimmer or, by using a nail clipper. Be sure not to get the charred pieces into the wax.

Don’t burn your candle all the way down. When you have about ½” left of wax in your candle it’s time to replace it. We always recommend cleaning this wax out and repurposing your jar!

Extinguish your candle properly. Use a candle snuffer or the candle lid to extinguish the flame instead of blowing it out. This prevents smoke from getting into the air and hot wax from splattering.

Keep an eye on your candle. If you notice that the wick starts smoking, flickering excessively, or the flame becomes too high extinguish your candle immediately. This is an indicator that your candle is not burning properly. After letting your candle cool, trim the wick and check for draft before re-lighting.

Store your candle properly. Store your candle in a cool, dark, and dry environment when not in use. Limiting your candle's exposure to harsh sunlight and humidity will prolong its lifespan. 

For Sculptural Candles:

The first burn is the most important. For the first burn, we recommend only lighting your candle for an hour at most. This will create a tunnel which will help your candle retain its shape as it burns down, preventing hot wax from spilling over and prolonging your candle's lifespan. Afterwards, you should only burn your candle for a maximum of two hours at a time. 

Burn on a heat safe surface. Since sculptural candles don't come in jars, it's important to burn them on a surface that is heat safe, and that you don't mind getting wax on. We recommend using a small plate or coaster! 

Don’t burn your candle all the way down. When you have about ½” of wax of wax it’s time to replace your candle. This lessens the chances of your candle catching fire. 

Extinguish your candle properly. Similar to jar candles, it's important to use a candle snuffer or the candle lid to extinguish the flame instead of blowing it out. This prevents smoke from getting into the air and hot wax from splattering.

Store your candle properly. Store your candle in a cool, dark, and dry environment when not in use. Limiting your candle's exposure to harsh sunlight and humidity will prolong its lifespan. 

For Wax Melts:

Make sure to only use approved wax melt warmers/burners. Approved warmers/burners have been tested to ensure that your wax melts will burn safely. Always keep your melt warmer on a stable surface away from drafts, and flammable objects. 

Never add water! This can cause combustion and can be extremely dangerous. If you need to clean out your wax melt warmer make sure it is turned off and completely cool first. You should then be able to pop out any leftover wax. 

Store your wax melts properly. Like candles, your wax melts will perform best if you store them in a cool, dark, and dry environment when not in use. 

Don't leave your wax melts burning for too long. You should only burn your wax melts for increments of 3-4 hours maximum. You can continue to use each melt until the scent no longer remains. Once the scent is gone simply break a new piece off from the snap bar and replace!